Grab a resource or a reference! You never know when they might come in handy.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a referral fee from qualifying purchases.
Race, Racism and Violence
Via- New York Times Books: Five books examining race https://nyti.ms/2XBrXDz
23 YA Books by Black Authors https://bzfd.it/2z3Dzpa
Essential reading guide for fighting racism https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ariannarebolini/george-floyd-amy-cooper-antiracist-books-reading-resources
Racism and Violence: How to Help Kids Handle the News | Child Mind Institute https://childmind.org/article/racism-and-violence-how-to-help-kids-handle-the-news/
Resources for Talking about Race, Racism and Racialized Violence with Kids – Center for Racial Justice in Education
ACT & SAT Prep
- Magoosh: www.magoosh.com
- Typing Club: www.typingclub.com
- http://readwritethink.org/ for high school students
- https://www.educatorstechnology.com/2017/03/10-excellent-educational-websites-for.html?m=1 for high school students
- Grammar practice for middle grades https://www.classroomcereal.com/
- Mystery Doug: www.mysterydoug.com
- National Geographic: www.kids.nationalgeographic.com
- The San Diego Zoo has a website just for kids with amazing videos, activities, and games. Enjoy the tour! https://kids.sandiegozoo.org/
- Tour Yellowstone National Park! https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photosmultimedia/virtualtours.htm
- Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover. https://accessmars.withgoogle.com/
- K-5th Science lessons https://mysteryscience.com/
- Interactive video earth science based curriculum supplement. https://www.everyday-earth.com/
- A human visualization platform that allows students to explore the human body in really cool ways. https://human.biodigital.com/login?returnUrl=/dashboard
- From rainbows to winter storms and tsunamis, meteorologist Crystal Wicker breaks down the fascinating world of weather. http://www.weatherwizkids.com
- Make a Cotton Ball Rocket Launcher: https://youtu.be/ZWJfIdZOpP4 For more projects like this, follow the Science Buddies channel on YouTube
- Science experiences for elementary students https://mommypoppins.com/kids/50-easy-science-experiments-for-kids-fun-educational-activities-using-household-stuff
- Science Mom YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-QcZISbFb9EiIEQ41cVhxw
- Do your children have a passion for weather? Join the KHOU Weather School M-F at 2 p.m. CST on Facebook and YouTube!
- Your child can play games, learn fun facts, and find out how to turn coin collecting into a hobby. https://www.usmint.gov/learn/kids
- Great Minds Think: A New Guide to Money is a free, self-directed activity book that introduces basic concepts in personal finance and helps students understand how to think critically about money decisions.
- For middle and high schoolers, research career paths and spark discussions on goals, budgeting and paying for post high school education. Navigate: Exploring College and Career
- Preparing for post high school graduation life, check out http://www.annuity.org/financial-literacy/students/
- Check out Pigly’s Kid’s Guide to Emergency Savings. https://pigly.com/savings/guide-for-kids.php
- Prodigy: https://sso.prodigygame.com/game/start
- Khan Academy: www.khanacademy.org
- Math practice from counting to algebra and geometry http://www.mathscore.com/
- Math as a fun part of your daily family routine http://bedtimemath.org/
- Geometry https://www.canfigureit.com/
- Math Videos with lessons, real life uses of math, famous actors https://www.hmhco.com/math-at-work
- Elem Math games, logic puzzles and educational resources https://www.mathplayground.com/
- Enter your math problem or search term, press the button, and they show you the step-by-step work and answer instantly. 2nd grade through college. https://www.mathcelebrity.com/online-math-tutor.php
- Scholastic Learn at Home: www.scholastic.com/learnathome
- Squiggle Park: www.squigglepark.com
- Fave kids books read by famous people on Storyline: www.storylineonline.net
- Reading passages for grades 3-12, with reading comprehension and discussion questions. https://www.commonlit.org/
- Reading for ages 2-12 www.readingiq.com
- Write cards to senior adults or those in homeless shelters like Star of Hope
- Clean out your closets and gather items to donation
- Lend a helping hand at the Food Bank
- Armed with rubber gloves and trash bags, organize a family street clean up.
- Debbie Allen dance class on Instagram @therealdebbieallen
- PE with Joe: LIVE on The Body Coach YouTube Monday – Friday 9am CT
- Indoor activities for busy toddlers https://bit.ly/2Ja0Ya1
- Free at-home kids yoga lesson plans https://littletwistersyoga.com/online-store/
- Kid-friendly workouts: choose from Strength for Kids, Agility for Kids, Flexibility and Balance for Kids, Warm-Up for Kids, Cooldown for Kids, Stand Up and Move for Kids, OR create your own custom kid workout. https://app.sworkit.com/collections/kids-workouts
- Watch “Kids workout 1 Beginners” on YouTube https://youtu.be/L_A_HjHZxfI
- Watch “Kids HIIT Workout 2” on YouTube https://youtu.be/lc1Ag9m7XQo
- 34 straight minutes of Kids Bop Dance Video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sHd2s_saYsQ&feature=youtu.be
- Movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts. https://www.gonoodle.com/
- Create an indoor scavenger hunt for kids to find random household items.
- FunbrainJr.com has games for preschool aged children. And funbrain.com for grades K-8.
- Read, play games, and hang out with Dr. Seuss https://www.seussville.com/
- Illustrated recipes designed to help kids age 2-12 cook with their grown-ups. Recipes encourage culinary skills, literacy, math, and science. https://www.nomsterchef.com/nomster-recipe-library
Is there anything missing? A subject or topic that needs to be covered? Email me! I’m happy to add things to this working list. Lastly, be easy with yourself and your kids. This is an interesting time for us all. Hugs!